Address Verifications & Changes
When property numbering is uncertain or there may be conflicts with the current address, the Request for Address Verification/Change form has been established so that information can be verified or resolved. The form will also assist the GIS division in maintaining an accurate master address database that is used as the central point of all government systems that rely on address related information, including the emergency response system. The Addressing Coordinator will research the provided information for verification and approval adhering to City Code found commencing at Article 2, Section 8-5-11. Please plan for at least 5 business days for address verification services.
The following information is required for all address requests:
- A completed request for address verification and/or change.
To download a form for hand delivery, mail or fax, visit.
For online submission, please complete.
- For requests that will consist of more than 5 verifications/changes, one digital file (DWG or PDF) of the approved plat, site plan, or building layout
- Verification services will incur a $25 fee only if an address confirmation letter is produced. Any request for an address change will incur a fee of $25 that cannot be categorized into any of the listed administrative reasons.
Changing Existing Addresses
Because multiple agencies and service providers are affected, existing address numbers should not be changed based on their perceived beneficial properties and/or cultural preferences. If desired, an address change fee will be incurred. Existing address numbers can be changed for one of the following administrative reasons without incurring any fees:
- The existing address number is out of sequence with the adjacent properties
- The address number is duplicated or the same number exists on a similar road name
- The existing or remodeled main entrance is on a different road or at a different location
- You have documented difficulty receiving emergency services
- Property located on a corner lot
For Assignment of New Addresses
If you wish to receive a new address and you have the tax parcel number, complete a Request for Address Assignment form and submit to the GIS office. Information can be found here.
Any questions, please contact: GIS Addressing Email or 706-821-2514.
All newly assigned addresses are preliminary and are subject to change. Advertisement of the address is not recommended until the final plat is recorded and/or all other requirements are met by other departments (Planning & Development, Utilities, Engineering, etc.) for approval. Commercial projects with multiple buildings or tenants must provide a floor plan for building and suite/unit/apartment number assignment. If the plat/site plan or floor plan is amended in any way after plan approval, you must resubmit for address review. An accurate address database is the foundation for emergency management and disaster preparedness. As addressing inconsistences arise, Augusta IT-GIS will strive to correct them in the best interests of the health, safety and welfare of the present and future inhabitants of Augusta, Georgia.