Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA)
The Augusta Board of Zoning Appeals consists of 10 members appointed by the Augusta Commission and two members appointed by the Legislative Delegation. For a list of current members, please view Members.
- To hear and decide appeals where it is alleged that there is error in any decision or determination made by an administrative official in the enforcement of the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance - amended January 2015
- To hear and decide requests to place manufactured homes as second living units on properties for no longer than one year on the basis of hardship
- To authorize upon appeal, in specific cases, variances from the terms of the Zoning Ordinance where, owing to special conditions, literal enforcement of the provisions of the Zoning Ordinance will result in an unnecessary hardship. Variances can be granted that uphold the spirit of the Zoning Ordinance when the Appeals Board finds:
- There are extraordinary and exceptional conditions pertaining to the particular piece of property in question because of its size, shape, or topography
- The application of the Zoning Ordinance to this particular piece of property would create an unnecessary hardship
- Such conditions are peculiar to the property involved
- Relief, if granted, would not cause substantial detriment to the public
- To authorize the operation of certain businesses as home occupations pursuant to the regulations promulgated by the Augusta Commission
- 2:30 pm
- Third Monday of each month
- Augusta Municipal Building • Commission Chambers, 2nd floor
- 535 Telfair St • Augusta, GA 30901
To join, please fill out and submit the Board of Zoning Appeals Application Form.